Whether you’re remodeling your home or planning a custom home construction project, there are hundreds of different decisions to make about the layout, design and décor of your new living space. All these options for customization allow homeowners to create a space that’s perfect for their needs, but they can also be overwhelming. If you’re trying to decide whether an open concept is right for your home, keep reading to find out more about this kind of floor plan.
Open concept is a very popular design option for homeowners, but it’s not right for everyone. With that in mind, it’s a good idea to consider some of the pros and cons of open floor plans to help you decide whether it’s right for you. Here are some of the most significant pros and cons of incorporating an open concept floor plan into your home design:
- Great for lighting: One of the biggest benefits of open floor plans is that they maximize natural lighting in a space. With an open concept floor plan, natural light floods into a space without any obstructions or walls getting in the way. This can make the whole space feel brighter, bigger and airier.
- Less wall space: While open concept floor plans increase the amount of floor space in a home, they also reduce the amount of wall space. This can cause some problems for homeowners who have a lot of artwork and photos to display on their walls. Before committing to an open floor plan, make sure to consider whether you will have enough room to decorate your space the way you want to.
- Improved home value: Another benefit of open floor plans is that they boost home value. Home buyers typically look for homes that have lots of open space, with plenty of potential for design, so open floor plans can be big selling points.
- Less structural support: If you’re considering an open floor plan as part of a home renovation project, keep in mind that some of the walls in your living space may be necessary to preserve to bear the weight of the roof and the second story of the home. In some cases, it’s not possible to remove these walls without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the house.
- More available space: An obvious benefit of an open concept design is that it offers expansive space for all kinds of activities, from relaxation to entertaining guests. One of the reasons why so many homeowners opt for an open concept space is that it’s ideal for hosting a lot of guests at once.
- Reduced privacy: Sometimes, it’s difficult for homeowners to maintain private spaces with an open concept floor plan. Floor plans with lots of individual rooms are great for establishing different spaces for working, entertaining and hosting guests.
Professional open concept design services
At Perry House Plans, we know how important the right floor plan is when it comes to designing a space that offers the best functionality and aesthetic appeal for homeowners. Our team has been designing custom homes and living spaces since 1959, and we continue to develop a reputation for the quality of our designs and the satisfaction of our customers. Give us a call today to get started with more information about all the services we provide.
Categorised in: Uncategorized